Global Potential Vegetation Dataset
This dataset is described in:
Ramankutty, N., and J.A. Foley (1999). Estimating historical changes in global land cover: croplands from 1700 to 1992, Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13(4), 997-1027.
The data is available in two formats -- NetCDF and ArcINFO ASCII -- at 5min and 0.5 degree resolution.
The NetCDF download (728K) contains the following files:
- vegtype_5min.nc.gz - gzipped NetCDF 5 min data
- vegtype_0.5.nc.gz - gzipped NetCDF data aggregated to a 0.5 deg resolution
- readnc.f - a FORTRAN program to read the NetCDF files
- ies-io.f - a FORTRAN program that contains NetCDF subroutines
- makefile - a makefile to compile the programs used to read the NetCDF files
PLEASE NOTE: this global dataset is meant to be used only for continental to global scale applications. Use caution when using this dataset at local scales.
Last updated: December 3, 2015