How to Apply
Applications for the Summer 2018 Environmental Conservation Professional Masters program are now open.
For questions regarding applications, please contact us.
Although applications for the professional master's in Environmental Conservation will be accepted on a rolling basis, applications received by Dec. 1 of each year will be given preference for admissions purposes. Applications are submitted online through the UW-Madison Graduate School. You will need to create a username and password to access the application system. For current or former UW students, this will be a new account that does not use your NetID. When applying for our MS program make sure you select the summer term for the calendar year you are applying for, and Environmental Conservation in the drop down tabs. Prospective students will be informed of their admissions status by late January.
Prospective students will be informed of their admissions status by late January.
Ideal candidates for our program will have approximately two to five years of professional work and / or field experience, preferably in the conservation sector, though candidates with diverse professional and academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must have received a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with GPAs below 3.0 may be considered for admissions under special circumstances. No additional prerequisite classes are required for the Environmental Conservation MS program.
Complete applications will include all items below. For applicants who have a GPA below 3.0, the GRE is required. For those who have GPAs at 3.0 or above GRE scores are not required for admissions to our program. Admissions decisions will be based on the entirety of each applicant's credentials.
- Professional credentials/resume
- Reasons for Graduate Study/statement of interest
- Two letters of professional recommendation; one letter from a current or former employer and one letter from a former university advisor are preferred; Although the online UW-Madison application gives you the option of adding 3 references, only 2 references are required for our program
- Prior to October 15, two official copies of undergraduate transcripts sent to the Nelson Institute. After October 15, transcripts will be submitted electronically to the graduate school and you do not need to send paper copies to the address below.
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
Attention: Graduate Programs Admissions
550 North Park Street, Office 84 Science Hall
Madison, WI 53706-1491 - U.S.A
- Supplemental Application (found in UW-Madison online application)
- GRE scores (dependent on undergraduate GPA)
For foreign students, TOEFL or IELTS scores are also needed. Minimum TOEFL score required is 92 for internet-based test (iBT) and 580 for paper-based test (PBT). Minimum IELTS score required is 7.0. Applicants with language scores below these requirements may be considered under special circumstances. The UW-Madison Graduate School also requires proof of sufficient tuition funds for foreign applicants accepted into the program.
Read more about Graduate School requirements.